Life goes on as normal

Work, home, friends, family. The routine of everyday life.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

1 May = Labour Day

In Germany the 1st of May is Labour Day "Tag der Arbeit" which traditionally sees plenty of demonstrations and protests happening. In Nürnberg there was something happening in the main market square in the town centre, and there is the usual motorbike gathering/ride into town. I steered clear of all these things and went with Mum's cousin to the hut in the woods again.

At the hut we had a very relaxing day - sweeping the grass for leaves and twigs, clearing debris from the ponds, and eating a lovely meal out in the sunshine. Afternoon siesta is "pflicht" (mandatory) so I sat in the sun, in the sheep paddock, trying to read and understand the German tax system. I was given a booklet about taxes with my 'tax card' and it didn't make much sense to be honest. Apparently there is a church tax, and of course income tax.

Today I found a tick attached to my chest, so went to my Mum's cousin to see about getting it off. She did so very nicely, so now I have to keep an eye on the spot where it was and hope there's no infection. My uncle had meningicoccal from a tick many years ago - it can be very dangerous!

I also went to the Volkshochschule (like a TAFE school I think) to enquire about learning German. I need to do a test online to see what course level I should do and then just enrol. I'm looking forward to doing that.

Otherwise this afternoon I'm going with some cousins (not the one I'm living with) to my Aunt's place in Hainsfahrt, then return tomorrow.

At this stage I think I will wait until Monday to start looking for work, although I am getting a bit bored so it will be much better I think when I am studying and working. Hopefully will make new friends too, cos it is a bit lonely often (and of course I'm missing all my family and friends back home in Oz).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you settling in nicely Tony. A nice relaxing time is all you need before starting work...
Keep us updated with your blog...

all the best mate (c;
fuaY

Anonymous said...

awwhhhh.... Tony said he misses us...

We love you too Tony!

Keep the updates coming!

Cheers
BH :)

Tonsterl said...

I'm sensing that there's lots of food involved already and you've just arrived in Germany. Lets get the facts right - as long as you don't get fat I'm fine b'cos the last thing i want is to be travelling with some heffa in Germany, Austria and Prague!

Anyway - sounds like you're having a ball!!!!
Cheers
Tonster

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear that you miss your work friends. Thats too bad about the tick. Have you checked all over? You may need to get someone to help! Showering helps to I have been told. Thanks for the link to your site. looks very good. RB