Life goes on as normal

Work, home, friends, family. The routine of everyday life.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Happy working and learning.

OK, that's it! I've had enough - I'm going to chuck in another job that I don't like (never did in fact). This telephone interview gig is sooooo boring it's painful! I did another shift this week, to see if I could still do it but I can't - it's too shitty! Apart from being a boring job, it's not exactly the kind of job I find morally correct. The whole concept of calling people at home, annoying them at home, asking questions that are almost positively not really going to reveal that much, is just simply wrong.
The topics that I had to ask questions about revolved around the advertisements of banks and insurance companies. Other topics that were asked about included refreshment drinks, telephone companies, shopping, energy providers blah blah blah. The questions I had to ask were really dumb and very annoying. The market research company would tell us to say whatever we have to on the phone to get an answer (nearly all questions are multi-choice answers). Most of the time the 'interviews' would take over 20 minutes, and we were told to say it only takes 10-12 minutes because "most people will forget the time when they're in the interview". Then we were told to keep asking the question when someone doesn't know something or doesn't have an answer - surely this means the results of the 'research' aren't exactly correct.
We were also only paid for the time we were logged into the questions. This meant that toilet breaks, smokos etc weren't paid.
On a happier note, I have a job now at a local Irish Pub which is much more enjoyable. It's only casual work but I like it so much better than the stupid telephone job! It's also a lower hourly rate but with tips it actually works out more. Also, I am much more prepared to do more hours.
At the pub I basically help out keeping the bar and beergarden stocked with drinks, serve meals, help in the kitchen a little, and help cleaning. The other workers are friendly (on the most part - there was a grumpy lady working on the weekend) and at least I can chat with them about normal stuff...not just stupid questions about advertisements!!
I also think that if I give up the telephone job I will at least have more time to focus on practicing my German grammar. I've found a grammar book with lots of practice exercises, so I will use the extra time to practice that. I have come to a point with my german skills that I need to get rid of the ingrained mistakes I constantly make, which isn't easy.
Well, happy working and learning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toni, sorry we missed you in Germany, but time got away (as it always does with relos) - all the eating, drinking and chatting.............
You're better off working at the Pub, at least you will get more used to the Nuernberg lingo, (and probably more likely to meet some really interesting people).
Keep up keeping us informed.
Hanne & John

Anonymous said...

DUDE! Miss you here in Australia! Glad to hear all is going really well there. I can vouch that bar work would be much more fun!
Take care mate and I'll talk with you again soon.