Life goes on as normal

Work, home, friends, family. The routine of everyday life.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

New job #2

Well, I've managed to work through a second week of 'tele-interviewing'. It is a little easier now....I think the nerves in the first few days were getting to me, but I still dont like the job. At first it was just questions about banks, but now I'm also asking dumb questions about insurance companies. These questions take sooooo much longer. The other day I had a lady on the phone from 8.40pm until 9.30pm!!! A whole 50 minutes!! She was 60 years old, and the last 10 minutes were just stupid phrases about general life situations/thoughts (eg "if I work hard I can reach all my goals in life" and whether she agreed with them or not - at least 10 minutes, and about 50 phrases!!! Such a nerve from the market research company!
Thursday I also started working at an Irish Pub in town, called O'Sheas. The funny part is that the owner of the place rang me on Tuesday afternoon to see if I could drop by on Thursday evening for a chat about mabe working there. Then he umm-ed and arr-ed a bit cos he was a bit embarrassed to ask if I could work that day as well! So I said yes, and it went quite well. It's not my favourite job, but its better than tele-interviewing! And at least I can talk with people normal and I feel like I've done an honest day's work. I think I'll do a few shifts a week of both jobs - the telephone job will give me great practice in German, and the pub job will give me a good work out (it is physical work having to walk lots and carry lots of stuff around)....and of course it's all a bit of money!
My German course finished last week, but I hope to keep in touch with some new found friends. Many of my classmates will be doing the next level course as well, which will make it much more enjoyable I think. I plan to find a good german grammar book where I can practice in the weeks where I dont have school.
This weekend is the Klassik Open Air Konzert which I am going to see with my family. It is held each year and is a free concert with classical music held in a parkland area which was once used by the Nazi Party as part of their Rally Grounds. We will take a picnic and enjoy the lovely summer weather we are having lately. Although its not quite as hot as Oz, its pretty humid so that makes it a little more uncomfortable than at home.
On a different note, television here is full of CRAP!!! They have these talk shows (like Judge Judy, or where people come to 'solve' their problems) which are soooo overdone and fake, it is obvious that its always actors! I find it sooo funny to watch. If I ever need a 'pick-me-up' then I just watch one of these :-) It's also taking a lot of getting used to seeing english programs dubbed in German....it might become so normal for me that the shows back home will be strange in original language!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Congrats!

It sounds like you are having some more fun now!

Oh, and guess what Tonny can't stop talking about......

Cheers
Ben